Wednesday, March 10, 2010

KEY PERSONAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE

The key things learned during this course so far has been the many resources available to students and teachers and how to become a effective technology advocate for the students. Knowing what is available in the form of technology is so important and then being able to convey that information to school district that you teach in is equally important. Most of which is learned from classmates that are currently teaching. During the conference discussion I have gained a host of valuable information. Most of which is based on their experience in the classrooms. My only experience in the classroom has been through volunteer work and some class assignments. Not being able to have first hand knowledge puts me at a disadvantage in some of the conference discussions. Most of the knowledge that I lend to that forum is from the assigned readings and any extra research I do.

Despite the fact that I am not currently teaching I feel as though this class has given me so far a sense of direction as I make choices about my future as a teacher. I have a great desire to be a good teacher and if that is to happen I will need all of what I have learned here in this class. The variety of operating systems available in schools are overwhelming and this class has enabled me the knowledge to choose what would be effective for my class. Getting to know my students seems like common sense practices but it seems easy to just follow along with what the school has in place. Being an advocate for student learning encourage you to research what your class is in need of and choosing the right technology resources is vital to student success.

As it relates to the blogging I am sold, it is important however to pick the correct posting procedures so that it won't be a drag to the students. Making sure students understand what is expected on them during the blogging experience is also important. Choosing a topic of interest and assigning time frames in which each student must post keeps things organized. The parent participation in this process is also a plus, all of the class information can be provided on a blog. This way parents can always know what their child is doing in the class.

Also I have enjoyed working in group, there is a lot of questions that can be answered by a classmate. Sometimes they are in need of the same information which lets you know you are not the only one confused on a topic. So far in this course I have learned some basic components of the computer system that I did not know. The importance of computer security and the importance of making parents and students aware. Gaining a new level of learning of the functions and capabilities of software tools. All of which will make me a better teacher in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I was happy to read of your view on blogging in the classroom. Your seem to have realized how useful it can be for your students as a learning tool. As you pointed out, you will have to make a careful selection in how to make sure the students do not find it to be a drag instead of seeing it as the wonderful tool that can be used to their benefit.
    Hope you will continue to be more informed on how to make it work for you when you get the chance to use it in the classroom. Keep sharing your successes as you learn more about blogging.
    Thanks for sharing your view.
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete